Convert Videos To iPod Formats
Filed under: Computing
I recently purchased DVD’s which I wanted to show to a large crowd. To do that I needed to project onto a large screen in a bigger than usual hall, not my TV lounge. I could have carried a standard size DVD player to the location but using an iPod seemed like a much easier way to accomplish my goal. The problem was getting the video files converted to an iPod format.
It wasn’t a difficult process but I couldn’t have done it without direction from the local iStore (I use a MacBook). Following is what worked for me:
Note: Before you begin this process you will need to download “MacTheRipper,” a DVD ripper (extractor). It removes CSS encryption, Macrovision protection, sets the disc’s region to ‘0’ for region-free, and is capable of removing RCE region checking. It can also copy ARccOS copy-protected DVDs. This is to backup your legally-purchased DVDs onto your hard drive. Once your files have been ripped to an accessible location on your hard drive you can then convert them.
- Download and install the program “HandBrake.” Versions are available for all operating systems. If you are not sure which system you have select the Apple icon (left side of menu bar) and “About This Mac” to get the specs for you machine.
- Open HandBrake and select “Source” on the left side of the menu bar. Find and select the file you wish to convert.
- Select “Browse” on the right hand side of the “Destination” window and choose the location where you want the file to be saved once it has been converted. This is also where you change the name of the file. Give it a name that associates it with your iPod. It can be simple like adding an “i” or “iPod” to the end of the name.
- Select “Toggle Presets” at the right hand side of the top menu bar which opens a side window from which you can select the specific format you want to use, e.g., iPod, iPod Touch or iPhone, Apple TV, and so on.
- Select “Start” on the left hand side of the top menu bar and the conversion will begin. A progress bar will activate at the bottom of the HandBrake window. The program will alert you once the conversion is finished.
- Drag the new file into iTunes and save it to your iPod. Very simple and quick.
Because the iPod is so portable you can now show your favorite videos in almost any setting.
Good luck and remember to THINK!AboutIt.