A Bustling Market
Closer To Durban
If you’re looking to buy fresh farm products you need look no further than the Shongweni Farmers Market. With over 200 stalls it’s the biggest and best market of it’s kind in Durban, maybe KZN.
Operating every Saturday morning from 6:00 to 10:30 AM in an easily accessible location, you’ll never run short of your favorite foods and they have everything:
- Fresh vegetables of every kind (some organic).
- Fresh meat.
- Eggs (double yoke for the extra hungry).
- Health products.
- Freshly baked bread (buy early, they run out soon).
- Crafts galore by local crafters.
- Furniture, indoor and outdoor.
Not to mention jewelry, tools, gadgets and many vendors cooking food to your liking on the spot. I couldn’t keep count of the cappuccino machines. They even have a large (200 capacity) open sided tent to eat under and it stays full. If you don’t like eating in a crowd get take-away. We took our rostis home and had them with double yokes.
A trip to the market makes a great family outing. For the kids they offer playground fun. Many people walk their dogs at the market and everyone is chatty. Oh, and if your wondering, they have plenty of well serviced toilets.
Visit their website here.
Call them on: (083) 777-1674 or (031) 777-4686
The market is easy to find:
- Take the N3 out of Durban and veer off at exit 17 – M13 (the exit is approximately 6 kilometers from the N2-N3 interchange.
- Travel approximately 19 kilometers on the M13 to exit 33 (Assagay, Hillcrest, Shongweni).
- Take the exit and turn right.
- Go approximately 300 meters to the first robot and turn left into Alverstone Road.
- Take the first left turn (approximately 50 meters) and follow the crowd to the parking.