Not So Appealing Surrounds
Just south of Amanzimtoti – near Winkelspruit – the Suntide Illovo Sands, a Holiday Club timeshare, is situated approximately 150 meters walk from the shoreline.
My wife and I made a midweek visit during the winter months – middle of June – and here is what we found.
- It is quiet, except for the sounds of the surf and the blowing of the wind. Very pleasant.
- Units were neat, tidy, well maintained and self catering.
- Grounds were clean and well maintained.
- Our six sleeper unit had two bathrooms and two bedrooms. The 5th and 6th person were accommodated on beds in the lounge, beds that I could rest on.
- Easily accessed braai units (BBQ’s) are located throughout.
- All the usual timeshare services and amenities: daily house cleaning, game room, pool table, table tennis, an assortment of games, laundry, pool, TV and babysitting.
- Every unit has beautiful views of the beach and ocean.
- Personnel are friendly and professional.
- The upmarket Galleria Mall within 12 kilometers drive.
Unfortunately, however, the negatives outweigh the positives, at least for me:
- No connection to the internet. This may not matter to some but for those like me, needing a daily connection fix, it can be frustrating. Even my phone didn’t always connect.
- 83. That’s how many steps there are leading down to the beach from the top level chalets in addition to the natural slopes. Even from the lower level there were 67 steps. There are 41 from the parking area to the top-level chalets. Wherever you go it is either up or down and that will happen every time you step out of your chalet. It’s a goat trail.
- The closest shop (Pic N Pay) is 2 kilometers away.
- No phones in chalets.
- Very little in the way of tourist attractions and recreational facilities in the area. Ushaka Marine World is 40 kilometers away.
- The closest center of attraction – Amanzimtoti – is 10 Kilomerters north and not easy to navigate. Whoever designed the roads was drunk or had no sense of direction or didn’t want visitors. “You can’t get there from here” applies. It took us a couple of days to find the bird park which wasn’t well maintained, smelled like a toilet and had more pesky monkeys than birds.
- Although a good size – a queen – the beds were very firm. Some would like this but it left my lower back sore in the mornings.
I wouldn’t say don’t go but be warned. If seclusion isn’t your cup of tea and you aren’t fond of goat trails go somewhere else. However, if you’re still interested, following are contact details and a map:
We booked through RCI.
Bookings can also be made through The Holiday Club.
Phone: 031 916 3110
Fax: 031 916 3509
Address: 34 William Brown Rd, Illovo, Amanzimtoti, 4126