Lesson 6: Comparing Different Gifts (1 Corinthians 12-14)
The New Testament teaches that every Christian is given spiritual gifts and these gifts determine the shape of our service to God.
1 Peter 4:10 says three things:
- Every person has received a gift.
- The gift is best used in ministering to the community – “one another.”
- Doing so makes the best use of the grace God extends to us.
That is easy to understand. The problem is there are two types of gifts.
- Some are “supernatural” and some are “natural.”
- Some are sensationally demonstrated and some are expressed through practical skills.
- Some display the power of God alone and some display God’s power working through the abilities of His people.
- Some gifts are very exciting and appealing while others are more mundane.
But all of them are “spiritual.”
Paul mentions both kinds in 1 Corinthians 12. In fact, he makes a very clear statement of his subject, “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant,” (v. 1).
Before we go further let’s define our terms more specifically. What is a spiritual gift? What qualifies to be called a spiritual gift? There are several facts to consider. [Read more…] about “Tongues” Is A Sign, Part 6