Not a zoo, not a game park and nothing like a museum, this farm is home to 1000 animals (all kinds), many in kraals (corrals) or pins and several roaming free.
Just like a real farm!
Walking around the 3 ½ hectares of land, you are accompanied by friendly animals, all very pet-like. They are so accustomed to people, they eat right out of your hand.
The African Grey in the entrance hall bent his head over inviting me to scratch the back of his neck. One pig smacked his gums repeatedly to get our attention and the young goats weren’t afraid to beg for a handout.
You’re allowed to bring your own picnic lunch but if you come empty handed they provide small bags of feed for the animals and the café offers real cappuccino and great brownies (To Woolworth standards), along with more substantial fare – all reasonably priced.
Speaking of price, entering the farm costs only R39 per person (children 18 months and younger free). They have intentionally kept their price reasonable and they cater for families, school groups, church groups, birthday parties and more. For groups, the price includes one pony ride for each child.
They really have gone the extra financial mile!
What they offer:
- Pony rides (at a small extra cost) and they have several ponies. No long waiting.
- Playground – several throughout – with a jumping castle.
- Milking demos at 12PM and 3PM every day that include singing-dancing fun for the kids. The kids get the opportunity to milk the cow (completely assisted) and bottle-feed the goats.
- A 36 bed house to allow school groups the opportunity to spend a night on the farm.
- A special school package which includes several freebies in the entrance fee.
- No time limit on your stay.
- Plenty of parking.
This award winning facility is situated between Umhlali and Tinley Manor – just north of Ballito – and is easy to find from the N2. The visit is so worthwhile some families visit the farm every month.
GPS Coordinates: S 29°.26.981 – E. 031°.14.557
- Follow the N2 north from Durban to exit 214 (Umhlali, Salt Rock Rd., Shakaskraal).
- Take the exit and turn right.
- Go 500 meters to the Flag Animal Farm sign on the left. First road past the entrance to the Farmhouse.
- Turn left and follow the signs for approximately 3.2 kilometers to the farm entrance on the left. Road crosses back over the N2.
They take Visa and MasterCard.
Ph: (032) 947-2018
Ph/Fax: (032) 947-2020
Operating hours: 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM daily
If you are visiting the Dolphin Coast north of Durban plan to visit the farm. It offers the greatest value for your buck.
Tell us what you THINK!AboutIt.